Sunday, October 24, 2010

What I have been doing

I have embarked on a journey.
I know that other writers have done this and have written about it in their own blogs, but my interest in conducting this experiment is two-fold.
One: I am interested in seeing what happens when you put yourself out there, and if you are being honest, making yourself available emotionally and finally showing your vulnerability finding out what happens.
And
Two: Is it possible to meet people a lot of people who lie and yet are interesting and strange and make humorous dating stories.
That's right; I have entered the world of on line dating with serious attempt to find a boyfriend.
My last relationship started on line and I fell in love and other than it ending, it was a good relationship.
I want to know if I can find that again, here, in the city and country I live in. (Long distance relationships are just too difficult.)
I put up a profile on several of the local (and free) dating sites, and I spent 2 days filling out the e harmony questionnaire. Holy crap do they ask a lot of questions!
I didn't go with match.com although I know of at least one couple that met that way and are happily married and have kids. Perhaps I should give them a chance.
However, I only had a small amount of recently discovered money in my PayPal account, so this is the road I chose for now.
I'm planning to write one blog for each man I meet and go out with as well as the losers that stalk me even when I have made it as clear as day that I am not interested.(I have had one of those already)
I think it will be at the very least an interesting experiment and a few funny blogs.
Then again, I could meet the man of my dreams. Follow me through this if you like, and leave your comments and ideas in the box!

The first thing I did was write my profile blurb for the free, local dating sites. Then I spent several hours going through a bunch of tiny pictures reading (mostly) bullshit blurbs written by men who claim to want a relationship but by the third "chatting" email they are asking me if I like big cocks. Not exactly a walk on the beach, huh?
I cast out my net by sending out about 30 responses to all sorts of different Men's ads to see what kind of response I'd get.
I made my "about me" somewhat vague on purpose, only mentioning minimal personal bits of information here and there.I Put up recent pictures and was honest about what I was and was not looking for, and waited for the responses to pour in.
Apparently I do not have the right combination of information, wit and pictures, as my responses were a lot more pathetic than I had hoped for.
I got a fair amount of older men (and by older I mean 60+) and a bunch of the hey sexyy u r hawt, wanna get it on?
Nothing annoys me more than people who text type,and bad spelling and worse grammar will get you crossed of the lips almost as fast as your Guido hair and thick gold chains (Remember the Gotti boys? Well they are all alive and well and living in Vancouver and they would like to get wit me)
I was disappointed by the lack of responses I received from the men that I sent out quick "nice to meet you" notes to. I only received about 6. The rest never even bothered to say thank you for saying hi, but you're not my type (because I do at least that)
I did receive a response from one of the men I wrote a note to and we decided to chat via email for a while and see if we had more than the basics in common. We emailed for a week before we moved to the phone conversations.
We agreed to meet for dinner one Friday night.
I will save the meeting part for the next episode as this is getting long, and the meeting with this gentleman and the next deserve more space and story than they will get here. Come on back if you are interested in hearing more.

4 comments:

  1. oh goodness, this is going to be interesting!
    Sounds like you are going to end up with a story or two for my guilty pleasure, A Bad Case of the Dates!
    Good luck!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck is what I need, there are some real turds out there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i am living proof that it IS possible to meet a good one via the internet... good luck, sweet friend.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know Megs, I use you as my good friend model for lots of reasons.

    ReplyDelete